Thanks to the dryer, residual heat (for instance from electricity generation) can be used throughout the year for drying sewage sludge.
Sewage sludge deposits frequently pose difficulties for water treatment stations. Drying sludge may provide a solution. Dorset has practical experience with the drying of sewage sludge.
This is a sustainable and cost-effective way of recycling sewage sludge into fuel. Our sludge dryers are frequently provided with Dorset Biologic Air Washers, which reduce odour emissions to the set standards.
As a manufacturer of air washers, Dorset can simply install an air washer or deliver it with the equipment.
The advantages of drying sludge
- Making good use of residual heat during the entire year;
- Lower costs in treatment, storage and transport;
- New sales and utilization possibilities;
- Reduction of odours and emissions.
Advantages of the Dorset Dryer
- Low energy consumption;
- Highly compact and flexible;
- Requires little maintenance
- Fully automatic operation without supervision is possible;
- Dewatered sludge can be dried without intermediate treatment;
- Low dust generation through low air speed;
- Simply to combine with the Dorset Air Washer.
Dried sewage sludge
Possibilities for using dried sewage sludge
Sewage sludge, which may possibly contain substances that are hazardous to the environment, is less popular as a fertilizer. Dried sewage sludge is regularly used as a fuel. After dewatering the sludge, a dry matter percentage of between 18 and 22% will usually remain. After drying sewage sludge with a Dorset Dryer, a dry matter content of 90% can be achieved.
For more information about the drying of sewage sludge please read our brochure (PDF).
The Dorset Dryer is a conveyor belt dryer. It has been modified to fit the characteristics of sewage sludge, amongst others through a special dosing head in combination with a subsoiler attachment.
The container variant of the Dorset Dryer is suitable for outdoor installation.
We develop and produce solutions for processing organic waste streams, air cleaning, electronic identification and animal housing.
These products are divided over three divisions:
Green Machines, Identification and Farm Systems.